Based on guidelines imposed by the New York State Department of Health, a facility must be free of any COVID-19 cases in residents and staff for no less than 14 days before in-person visitation can commence. At the Friendly Home, in-person visitation is scheduled to resume on December 14th if there are no COVID-19 cases in the facility.
On September 17th, the New York State Department of Health (DOH) announced new regulations concerning nursing home visitation. Here is a link with more detailed information on the DOH’s latest policy: https://health.ny.gov/facilities/nursing/docs/2020-09-15_nursing_facility_visitation.pdf
Accordingly, the Friendly Home will honor the resident’s right to receive visitors of his or her choosing within the guidelines that will provide for a safe, sanitary and comfortable environment which minimizes the risk of exposure to COVID-19 for Members, visitors and staff.
- Members and families will be allowed to visit in pre-identified, approved outdoor and indoor spaces as long as the facility has not had any reported staff or Member cases of COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Visits are prohibited in Member rooms.
- Visitors must present a copy of a verified negative COVID-19 test result within 7 days of the actual test date. If a visitor does not have the appropriate test results, they will be offered the opportunity for a window visit
- Visitors from travel-restricted states (as identified by the New York State Department of Health) must quarantine for 14 days or provide proof of a travel advisory exemption. Exemption requests can be made by e-mailing the New York State Department of Health at email@example.com.
- Visits will be scheduled 24 hours in advance, at a minimum.
- Members will be allowed to have two visitors at a time for no more than 30 minutes.
- Visits will be scheduled every hour to allow for Member transportation and disinfection after the visit ends. Visits are available from 10:00am to 3:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- The following information will be collected for each visitor: first and last name, address, daytime/evening phone number, date and time of visit, and email address.
- Visitors will have their temperature taken and will be asked a number of screening questions with regard to symptoms, exposure and travel.
- Members and visitors must wear face masks at all times covering the mouth and above the nose. Masks that do not cover the nose are not acceptable and will not be allowed. If you do not have an appropriate face mask, the Friendly Home will provide one.
- There can be no physical contact between visitors and Members.
- No exchanges may be made during the visit (no cards, gifts, flowers, food items, etc.)
- Neither visitors nor Members may eat or drink during the visits.
- The Friendly Home must provide staff supervision during visits to ensure that all appropriate infection control, safety and distancing requirements are maintained.
- 10% of Members may have visitors, not to exceed 10 visitors total on campus at any one time.
- Members will not be able to participate in outdoor visits if there are weather-related conditions in place, or if Nursing/Medical determine that a visit would be contraindicated due to Member’s medical condition.
- Visitors under the age of 18 may visit if they are accompanied by someone who is over 18 years old.
- Pets are not allowed at this time.
- Visitors must maintain good safety and infection control practices as well as social distancing at all times.
- Visits may be cancelled due to staffing shortages, Member/staff COVID-positive cases or if the Home cannot meet the minimum requirements for visitation.
- Any Member who is on isolation precautions is NOT eligible for a visit.
- Per NYS directive, if any visitor fails to adhere to the protocols, they will be prohibited from visiting for the duration of the COVID-19 state declared public health emergency.
- The New York State Department of Health reserves the right to restrict visitation at any point.
Please use our online system to schedule in-person/window visits and Zoom chats. If you experience any issues in scheduling your visit, please contact Courtney Pierce at (585) 789-3121 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need to change or reschedule your planned visit, please do so through Calendly. Here are the easy directions to do so.
In addition, in coordination with our Nursing and Social Work teams, end-of-life visits are allowed; no negative COVID-19 test result is required for these visits, but all other screening processes apply.
We look forward to safely welcoming visitors back to the Friendly Home!
FRIENDLY HOME EMERGENCY PANDEMIC PLAN
You may find the Friendly Home’s Emergency Pandemic Plan in our Brochure Library.
News & Information
- We are screening every employee, every shift, every day as they come to work. This includes 1) taking their temperatures and 2) having them complete a questionnaire about COVID-19 risk factors, including showing signs of respiratory illness and potential exposure to anyone with COVID-19. No one will be allowed to enter the building if they have a fever or other symptoms of respiratory illness. Employees are constantly reminded that if they are not feeling well in any way, they should not come to work.
- Universal masking policies are in place – ALL employees MUST wear masks.
- We continue to follow rigorous infection prevention and control procedures. These include handwashing and wearing gloves and other personal protective equipment (PPE). As with proper wearing of masks, we are continuously reinforcing and monitoring these procedures with our staff.
- Our thorough disinfecting and cleaning processes are performed frequently, with special attention to commonly touched areas such as door knobs, light switches, elevator buttons and the like.
- Hand sanitizers have been installed in every Member room and throughout the building in common areas.
- We have implemented plans to limit as much as reasonably possible the movement of individuals within and throughout the Home.
- Social distancing of at least six feet is monitored and strictly enforced.
- We have an adequate inventory on hand of PPE and cleaning and disinfecting supplies, with ordering and deliveries occurring on a daily basis.
The Friendly Home continues to be sufficiently staffed in important areas such as Nursing, Dining Services, Environmental Services, Life Enrichment and Social Work. Our Human Resources team has implemented several staffing strategies to build up our pool of employees and maintain the necessary staffing levels to provide care and services for our Members.
Inventory & Supplies
We are maintaining sufficient inventories of the supplies we need, including items like gowns and gloves, cleaning supplies and food/beverages. We are ordering many of these items daily to ensure that we continue to be well supplied in the days and weeks to come.
The Friendly Home’s Life Enrichment team is going above and beyond to keep our Members active and engaged.
- Daily 1-on-1 visits with all Members
- 1-on-1 activities are offered every day, such as cards, games, prayer, and reading stories
- Providing Members with music and audio books that they can listen to in their rooms
- A traveling leisure cart with activities like jigsaw puzzles, cards, coloring/drawing
- Sam and Sheila are providing traveling live music! They are playing in the hallways for Members to enjoy in their rooms.
- Traveling carts for cocktail hour and other refreshments and snacks. Our Music Therapist performs in the Auditorium and that is broadcast on our internal channel for Members during cocktail hour.
- There is a lot of programming available on our internal Channel 4, such as exercise, the rosary, crossword puzzles, travelogues, live music, sensory videos and more. There are also baking demonstration shows, and we pass out snacks afterwards. One or two employees are leading the group, and then we have staff on each neighborhood encouraging Members to tune in and follow along.
- Members have really been enjoying video chats with their families. Please contact Samantha Tercero at 585-789-4604 or email@example.com to arrange a video chat, which are scheduled for Mondays through Fridays from 10:00am – 4:00pm.
- Families and friends are encouraged to send photos, drawings, notes of encouragement, etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our staff will print these out and share with our Members.
Further, our leadership team rounds on every neighborhood several times a day to visit and check in with Members and staff to see how everyone is doing and to address any concerns. Our Social Workers spend time with Members every day, and are monitoring for any signs of emotional issues.
Send a Guitar Gram!
Our Life Enrichment team has created Guitar Grams. You can send a request for a favorite song along with a message to your loved one through the email@example.com email address. Our Music Therapist, Sam Snyder, will announce the dedication to your Member and play the requested tune for your loved one during strolling musical visits to each neighborhood,