The holiday season is once again upon us! For many, it’s the most wonderful time of the year. But for some nursing home residents and their loved ones, it may be challenging. Here are some ideas to help make the season special and meaningful for both of you.
- Though the setting may be a new one, families and nursing home residents (who we call Members at the Friendly Home) can find lots of opportunities to spend time together, during the holidays and throughout the year.
- For example, visit the Friendly Gift Shop to see a variety of seasonal items – clothing, ornaments, home décor, wreaths and more. It’s a great place for Members to do some on-site shopping, or to just to browse the various items and enjoy the festive atmosphere.
- The Friendly Café is back open! Stop by Monday – Friday from 8:00am to 2:00pm to enjoy a cup of coffee, a bowl of soup, a panini or a yummy dessert together, with a great view of the outdoor winter wonderland!
- Take a stroll through the Art Gallery to view the rotating exhibits by local artists as well as the artwork of our Members.
- You can visit the aviary to see the birds at play! This is located on the second floor near the entrance to Morgan Place. All are welcome!
(Remember that masks are required in all of the Friendly Home’s common areas, and Café visitors must be vaccinated.)
- Encourage your loved one to take part in the many holiday activities happening around the Home. New memories can be created by joining sing-alongs, watching a classic holiday movie with friends, enjoying seasonal treats and craft activities. Find out more by visiting our December Life Enrichment calendar.
- Technology is a great way to stay connected! Many of our families bring in iPads and similar devices so that they can facilitate virtual visits between local and out-of-town relatives and friends via Zoom or FaceTime.
- Spend time reminiscing about your and your loved one’s favorite holiday celebrations and traditions. Bring pictures to spark conversation and help your loved one remember the joys of the season.
Throughout the year and especially during the holidays, we understand how important it is to stay engaged and connected. Our Social Work and Life Enrichment teams are here to help. Please reach out to us if you’d like to talk about these and other ways to make the most of the season. From all of us to all of you, Happy Holidays!
Back to Blog Posts