April is National Volunteer Recognition Month. This is a wonderful opportunity to extend our heartfelt thanks to our over 120 active volunteers, who do so much to bring joy to our Members.
In what kinds of ways do our volunteers make a difference? Where do I begin? Our volunteers:
– Sing, play instruments and perform. Our Members LOVE music, and the sounds of a sing-along or lively piano playing lift spirits like nothing else!
– Make our Friendly Gift Shop a great place to visit! They know our Members and their families and greet them by name, help them choose items like candy, gifts or jewelry, and engage in conversation.
– Bring Members to various activities and appointments around the Home: the beauty parlor, the dentist, an afternoon’s entertainment, worship services and more. Along the way, volunteers and Members get to know one another, and friendship blooms!
– Serve at our weekly (and very popular!) cocktail hour.
– Bring in their beloved pets for happy visits.
– Engage Members in conversations in the comfort of their rooms if they prefer to stay in their own surroundings.
– Use their creativity to help raise funds for all of the extras our Members desire and deserve.
– Serve on boards and committees to help guide our direction and bring the Friendly Home’s mission to life.
– Make copies, stuff envelopes, prepare information packets and take care of other behind the scenes (but oh so important!) tasks.
Witnessing the relationships that develop between volunteers and Members and volunteers and staff is truly one of the things I love the most in my role as the Friendly Home’s Volunteer Manager. To all of our volunteers – thank you from the bottom of our hearts for giving so generously of your time and talents!
“When I leave the Friendly Home after volunteering, I feel like I’m on top of the world!”
Back to Blog Posts