Good nutrition doesn’t have to consist of inflexible rules or mean you have to sacrifice taste. Summer is here making it easier than ever to eat healthily and deliciously with loads of gorgeous fruit and vegetables. Farmers markets offer these summer delights at low cost! Here are some tips to help you enjoy summer’s bounty:
- Keep it colorful. Challenge yourself to try fruits and vegetables of different colors. Make it a red/green/orange day and eat an (apple, lettuce, and carrots), or see if you can consume a rainbow of fruits and vegetables during the week. Different colors provide you with different vitamins & minerals.
- Add it on. Add fruits and vegetables to the foods you love. For example, try adding frozen peas to mac’n’cheese, veggies on top of pizza and slices of fruit on top of breakfast cereals or low-fat ice cream. Also try adding vegetables in with pasta sauces, lasagnas, casseroles, soups and omelets. Mixing fresh or frozen berries into pancakes, waffles or muffins is another great way to make fruits and veggies a part of every meal.
- Roast away. Try roasting vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, onions, carrots, tomatoes or eggplant. Steaming, grilling, sautéing, roasting, baking and microwaving vegetables are ideal preparation methods.
- Enjoy vegetable dippers. Chop raw vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Try bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower and celery, and dip your favorites into low-fat or fat-free dressings.
- Enjoy fruit desserts. Fresh or canned fruit in light syrup or natural fruit juice, gelatin containing fruit and dried fruit are good choices for a dessert.
Take advantage of all that summer has to offer!
Back to Blog Posts